Monday, November 5, 2007

"New York City Marathon: Run Forest, Run!"

This week's assignment for my photojournalism class was to cover the NYC Marathon. 42,195 km of something I've never seen before, Staten Island to Central Park, Manhattan, through all five boroughs of The City, the largest marathon race in the world - it promised to be very exciting. And it was!

I decided to be an early bird and went to 4th Avenue in Brooklyn, where I took most of the shots that day. First, I took half an hour to walk down the track, to take a coffee to go with me (something I got used to very quickly living in New York), and to find a good spot from where to get my pictures - and above all, to enjoy the silence before the storm.





The first to get started was the wheelchair division. The quickest of all the marathon participants was Kurt Fearnley (AUS), who crossed the finishing line in Central Park after 1:33:58. Second quickest was Edith Hunkeler (SUI) after 1:52:38.

The wheelchair division was followed by the top men and women - all bones and muscles.



Martin Lel (KEN) won the men's race after 2:09:04, top woman was Paula Radcliffe (GB) after 2:23:09. Probably it would take myself about the same time to drive that route.
The tops were followed by the masses - a total of about 40,000 runners.

Have you ever had some thousands of people running towards you?
It is quite an impression, I can tell!





Keep moving, folks!

tbc.

No comments: