Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Impacts of Technology (4): Who is Better Than Well?"

Just another American antagonism managed to sneak in and occupy my thoughts the whole day. The overall and undeniable stress on both conformity and non-conformity. Ladies and gentlemen, mesdames et messieurs, let's get rrrrready to rrrrrumble! Dingdingdingdingding!

Innnn the right corner: CONFORMITY! A blend of charming and beautiful fat-reduced Barbie and diet Ken, aspiring and succeeding, healthy and strong, shiny and happy and of course regularly doing pedicure and getting their nails done. And if it takes a little Ritalin or two to stay tuned, no worries - it doesn't harm anyone, does it? Watch me, I am the embodiment of the American Dream!

Innnn the left corner: NON-CONFORMITY! It is all about being different for this fellow, setting oneself apart from the masses is all that counts, dude. You want it white? I take it black, mate! You think about earrings? I think about tongue-splitting! Blond or brown this year? I go for the rainbow with a couple of grey and golden wisps, and that's for sure, Miss! My career? Different! My lifestyle? Alternative! Watch me, I am the embodiment of the American Dream!

That's gonna be a tough one, folks - so better get down on your seats and watch the show! Who's gonna win it? I don't know!

--> Modern body enhancement technologies are in favor of both of them, and of a lot more extreme ways of changing our bodies in order to get our inner and outer self into a state of coherence. There's more to discuss than Ritalin and piercings and the common "big-boobs, small-boobs" debates that if at all make people yawn once or twice these days. Where do we draw the line? Do we draw the line? Do we want to draw a line anywhere at all these days?

Food for thought.

No comments: